Wednesday 1 January 2014

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to all PhD students out there!

(I would have liked to have been able to write 'Merry Christmas, ho ho ho!' - but I was too busy stuffing my face with roast turkey and pigs in blankets to get online.)

For the first time in a few years, I have just had a 'Christmas holiday'. That is to say, I have spent several days over the festive period in which I did not do anything useful at all. I did not torment myself with to-do lists or jobhunting or anything that makes good sense. I did not attempt to spoil my Christmas by using it to reread my PhD ahead of the viva. (well, I almost did, on the night of the 28th, read a bit of the PhD over a half-pint of beer in the pub where I used to 'write' my PhD; but in the end I just ended up spending a happy half-hour daydreaming, after which I called my lover to come and join me.) Mostly, I spent a happy week or so sitting, talking, eating, and going to the gym. Occasionally, I read a good book.

In short, I have just had completely guilt-free time off work. I urge all of you to do the same. It's fabulous.

So. The viva. In preparation for the upcoming viva, I have

--- printed myself a copy of the PhD (a less expensive, less beautiful copy than the ones the examiners will have in their hands, but a copy of my own nonetheless, which I am told it is very important to have)

--- started to read through the PhD (at some point, several weeks ago), with the aim to read a chapter a day; so far I have stalled at Chapter 1, but I will do this, I will.

--- booked a holiday - a week in the sun, post-viva, and it is all booked now and I am going no matter what happens. I am packing my skimpiest dresses and dreaming of bare feet on the sand. I can't wait.

So much for viva preparation. Now, in case you are interested, my New Year's resolutions include:

--- to take more holidays and to do nothing more often

--- to go away on exotic trips more often

--- (...I think that's it, actually.)

Happy New year, everyone! ...

X








No comments:

Post a Comment